Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Artist Statement

Rossitza Todorova depicts the ever-changing landscapes of Northern Nevada in her abstract, black and white drawings. In her artwork she morphs natural and architectural lines to create vast, overlapping landscapes.

“For the last sixteen years I have seen the Reno/Carson Valley change, pushing further into the surrounding hills and valleys. Roads, highways and homes stretch out into the dessert transforming our natural landscape. At the same time structures and paths that man once dug and build are overtaken by the snow, sun, and desert, leaving man and nature in a symbiotic relationship of creating and reclaiming,” says Rossitza Todorova. “I am fascinated by man’s drive to change and adapt his surroundings. I find man’s desire to take charge of his own life visually inspiring. I try to capture man’s momentum in my drawings. My lines of ink are an abstract representation of how man uses his tools to re-define his world but also represent his desire for movement and travel. In my drawings I try to capture the motion of man in one landscape; the road and the body that created it.”

Ms. Todorova’s works have been exhibited throughout the Reno area; including recent solo shows at the Nevada Museum of Art and the Sierra Arts Foundation. In 2005, she earned her B.F.A in Painting/Drawing with minors in Business Marketing and Management from the University of Nevada, Reno. Presently, she works at the Nevada Arts Council as the Nevada Touring Initiative Assistant.

No comments: